It is my post-halloween special recipe! My daughter knows that the next thing after pumpkin carving is the ‘Cream of Pumpkin Soup’, which increases her enthusiasm for carving!! I have been making this soup for years and it is one of my favourite too! It is a vegetarian soup and can be enjoyed with a piece of lovely warm bread. I serve it with bread and dry chicken, as I am a big fan of non-vegetarian food!
- Cuisine: Amrita’s special
- Serves: 6
- Preparation time: 5 mins
- Cooking time: 30 mins
- Pumpkin (remove all the pulp before carving)- 1 Kg
- Onion (sliced), medium- 1
- Potatoes (boiled and diced), medium- 2
- Tomatoes, chopped- 3 cups
- Single cream- 1/2 cup
- Black pepper- 1/2 tablespoon
- Cayenne pepper- 1 teaspoon
- Cumin- 1 tablespoon
- Paprika- 1/2 tablespoon
- Oregano- 1/2 tablespoon
- Olive oil- 2 tablespoons
- Salt to taste
1. Cut off the crown using a sharp knife.
2. Scoop out the seeds and fibres and discard it. Remove the flesh and put it in a bowl.
3. Heat oil in a deep non-stick pan. Add the sliced onions and saute until soft.
4. Add the chopped tomatoes and saute for 1 minute.
5. Add the pumpkin, bolied potatoes, oregano and salt to taste.
6. Cover with a lid and let it cook for 30 minutes on a medium flame. Keep stirring every few minutes.
7. Let it cool down completely.
8. Grind it to a smooth paste in the grinder.
9. Pour it in a big pan, add cumin, black pepper, cayenne pepper, paprika and salt to taste.
10. Boil it for a few minutes.
11. Switch off the gas, add the cream and mix it well.
12. The soup is ready to be served. Add fresh cream on the top to garnish it.
You can serve it with warm bread! I served it with Air-fried chicken- recipe to follow soon!!