After a series of non-vegetarian delicacies, we are back to a few vegetarian specialties. Dal tadka trio is a delicious recipe made with three types of dal (pulses)- red lentils, green lentils and brown lentils. It has a rich and beautiful taste but is extremely easy to make!
- Cuisine: Indian
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Serves 10
I sometimes cook in large quantities, so that I can freeze it or can eat it for a couple of days, as it becomes difficult to cook daily after a full day of work. It keeps fresh in the fridge for 3-4 days and it can be stored in the freezer for upto 2 weeks.
- Red lentils 1 cup
- Green lentils 1 cup
- Brown lentils 1 cup
- Onion, sliced 1 large
- Tomatoes, chopped 3 medium
- Ginger paste 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric 1 teaspoon
- Cumin powder 1 tablespoon
- Garam masala powder 1 tablespoon
- Red chilli powder 1/2 – 1 teaspoon (according to taste)
- Salt to taste
- Corinader leaves for garnishing
For tempering (a cooking technique in which whole spices are roasted in oil or ghee)
- Ghee 1 tablespoon (easily available in the supermarket)- you can use oil if it is not available
- Dry red chillies, whole 2-3
- Cumin seeds, 1 teaspoon
1. Add red, brown and green lentils in a pan and pour 5 cups of water.
2. Add turmeric and salt to taste and boil it until tender. If you boil it in the pressure cooker, it would need 7 whistles and would be quicker.
3. In the meantime, heat oil in a deep non-stick pan, add cumin seeds, whole red chillies and cook for 1 minute.
4. Add the sliced onions and saute’ until golden brown. Add the chopped tomatoes, ginger paste, cumin powder, garam masala powder and red chilli powder. Cook until the oil starts to separate from the gravy. Switch off the gas.
5. Once the lentils are tender, add them to the gravy and mix it well. Add the ghee to it.
6. Pour it in a dish and garnish it with coriander leaves. Serve hot with naan bread or a bowl of rice.