A very simple but extremely tasty lunch/dinner! It is my daughter’s favourite- brings a smile on her face, when on her plate!! With the children spending much more time at home during the lockdown, this could be one of the exciting options for lunch or dinner!!
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Servings: 6
- Tortillas (corn or flour) – can be bought in the supermarket (I personally prefer corn tortillas but it is entirely your preference) or can be made at home (recipe to follow later)
- Chicken breast, skinless, boneless, chopped into small pieces 500 grams
- Onion, chopped 1 large
- Bell peppers (red, yellow or green) sliced 2
- Oregano 1 tablespoon
- Cumin 1/2 tablespoon
- Paprika 1 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Olive oil- 2 teaspoons for cooking chicken and for sprinkling on the pan to make the quesadillas
- Cheddar cheese, grated 2 cups
- Tomatoes, chopped 2 large
- Red onion, 1 small
- Lemon juice 1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander leaves, chopped 2 teaspoons
- Chilles, chopped 1 (only if you would like it to be spicy)
- Black pepper
- Salt to taste
1. Heat oil in a large non stick pan, add onion, bell peppers and cook for 1 minute.
2. Add the chicken, oregano, cumin powder, paprika and salt to taste. Cook on high flame for 5 minutes, reduce the flame, cover the pan with a lid and cook for 15 minutes. Cook on high flame for 5 minutes.
3. Salsa- add chopped tomatoes, red onion, coriander, lemon juice, black pepper and salt to taste. Add chopped chillies, only if you dont mind the spice!
4. Ready to make the quesadillas now!
5. Drizzle oil on a large non-stick pan, place a tortilla and add the chicken, salsa, grated cheese on one half of the tortilla.
6. Cook for 1 minute and cover the filled part of the tortilla with the other half. Cook the tortilla for a 3-4 minutes and turn it over using a flat spatula. Cook the other side for the same amount of time until golden brown.
7. Place the tortillas on the plate as seen on the picture below and then cut them into halves.They are ready to be served with a choice of salad or by itself!
Tip: Use one tortilla and fold it over instead of using 2 tortillas, as it would be more manageable and less messy.